Gifted Education Certificate
The Gifted Education Certificate is designed to help educators develop the specialized knowledge and skills needed to recognize and respond to individual differences among gifted and talented students and to address the varying needs, interests and abilities of all students.
This certificate requires 6 units of additional coursework and is available as an add-on for students in our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and Master of Arts in Teaching – TESOL (MAT – TESOL) programs.
The Gifted Education Certificate program will prepare candidates to engage gifted and talented students while also developing the abilities of all other students in the classroom.
The curriculum prepares candidates to:
- Identify gifted and talented students among underrepresented, culturally, linguistically and economically diverse students in urban schools;
- Develop the specialized knowledge and skills needed to respond to individual differences among gifted and talented students;
- Work with gifted and talented students to provide them with the intellectual challenges and motivation to achieve high academic and learning goals;
- Acquire the specialized skills to conduct a differentiated curriculum that is a balance between theory and practice; and
- Develop a repertoire of pedagogical practices that facilitate a higher level of thinking and knowing for all students.
MAT students and MAT – TESOL students must complete 6 additional units of coursework.
Differentiated Curriculum and Pedagogy for Gifted Students - 3 units
The Gifted Education Certificate program does not lead to state licensure. Educators should check with their state to determine requirements for teaching in a gifted environment.