International Admissions

The USC Rossier Global Network of Students and Graduates

interactive world map showing over 60 countries represented in USC Rossier online graduate programs

USC enrolls thousands of international students each year. More than 60 countries are represented in USC Rossier's online graduate programs, with many students coming from India, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the United Kingdom and Thailand.

Students from around the world have completed USC Rossier's programs online, and we understand the unique needs and concerns of our international applicants. We offer our international applicants and students the same exceptional support available to our U.S.-based students, including field placement support. Admissions Counselors are based in the U.S. and Hong Kong to help students at reasonable hours in their own time zones. U.S. expats can also complete their degree with USC Rossier while they live abroad.

Student and Graduate Spotlights


Students in the MAT online or MAT–TESOL online program will complete fieldwork in local schools. Our International Placement Team has successfully placed international students in hundreds of schools in more than 60 countries. Here is a selection of our international placement locations.

To learn more about fieldwork requirements for your program, visit the MAT online Fieldwork page or the MAT–TESOL online Fieldwork page.

International Admissions

USC Rossier seeks students from around the world whose academic background, professional goals, personal commitment and communication skills meet the demands of our rigorous programs.

All applicants must have a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution, but prior coursework in education is not required. For specific requirements by country, refer to our country-by-country listing of grade and/or degree requirements.

Applicants whose native language is not English, and who do not have a bachelor's degree from a college or university in the U.S., U.K., New Zealand, Canada or Australia, will be required to submit a valid score from the TOEFL Internet-based Test (TOEFL IbT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Students must also provide English language translations of all transcripts and credentials as needed. Credential evaluations from external agencies are not accepted.

Please select your specific program of interest for full admissions requirements:

Financing Your Degree

While international students are not eligible to apply for the FAFSA and Graduate PLUS loans, U.S. citizens living abroad may still apply. International students may want to consider private financing. Contact lenders directly for citizenship requirements, as many private education lenders require a U.S.-based co-signer in order to obtain a loan. All students should review USC's Payment Plan information.

Payment Methods

International students may pay for each term via wire transfer, international draft payments or an international debit or credit card. If paying with an international debit or credit card, please note that these frequently require a phone call for verbal identification confirmation before the amount can be authorized. If you will be drawing from an international bank, please make sure your bank is aware of the pending charge to ensure the transaction will be approved.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I live in a different time zone than California. Do you have an Admissions team that I can speak to at a reasonable hour?

A: Yes, we have International Admissions Counselors located in our office in Hong Kong. They specialize in working with applicants who are located outside of the United States.

Q: I would like to earn a teaching credential. Do I have to return to the U.S. to complete my Guided Practice?

A: Most likely you can complete your Guided Practice at an international school in your current country of residence. Our International Admissions Counselors can provide you with more details about this requirement.

Q: Can I pursue the program from outside of the United States?

A: Candidates pursuing any of USC Rossier's online degrees can complete all or part of their program internationally. Our placement team has facilitated more than 900 international placements in 60 countries, and we have a growing body of students and graduates living and working in the field of education around the globe.

If you want to speak with a student or graduate of the program who is living internationally, please contact an Admissions Counselor.

Q: What if I need to move to another country during the middle of the program?

A: You are able to move after you start the program; however, you will need to speak to your Academic Advisor and Student Support Advisor about your specific case. We ask that you do not move during the Guided Practice component of the program.

Q: Will I have to find my school for Guided Practice on my own?

A: No, we have a placement team dedicated to international students who will assist you in finding a school or location for either the MAT online or MAT–TESOL online program.

Q: Will I have to travel to the U.S. at any point to complete the program?

A: You will not need to travel to the U.S. to complete any of the Master of Arts in Teaching online program. If you are pursuing a teaching credential, you may have to travel to the U.S. to take the CBEST or CSET (or another state's tests) before you can begin Guided Practice.

EdD students should expect to travel to the U.S. to complete their immersion requirement in terms 1 and 5. USC Academic Advising assists students as needed to secure a visa through the Office of International Services for the days of the immersion. We recommend that international students submit their applications as early as possible so they can have ample time to secure their visas.

Q: Are there going to be class times that are convenient in my time zone?

A: Class times vary throughout the day in Pacific Standard Time. Faculty members schedule class times that cater to most time zones.

Q: Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

A: You will be required to have a valid TOEFL or IELTS score if you are not a U.S. citizen and did not complete your bachelor's degree in the U.S., U.K., New Zealand, Canada or Australia.

Q: If I want to visit the U.S., can I take classes on campus?

A: As a USC student, you will have a USCID card and full access to campus; however, you will not be able to attend campus classes due to limited classroom space.

Return to Top

To learn more about USC Rossier's online programs, visit our Academics Overview or call Phone Number: +1 888-628-1872 to speak with an Admissions Counselor.